Sunday, May 20, 2007

Is Ron Paul's candidacy a turning point in American politics?

I was very excited when I discovered congressman Ron Paul was running for President. As the most consistently libertarian congressperson (even though he's registered Republican), he has provided the only remaining shreds of hope our government may someday stop this ever increasing journey toward fascism.


Although I'm not sure we need presidential debates a full 19 months prior to the election, I am very pleased for a chance to see all the candidates get a chance on stage. It remains to be seen whether any third party candidates will have a chance to debate. But in the meantime, we have the next best thing: Ron Paul.

As has been well covered by now, there was a tense moment at the Republican debate earlier this week. In an answer about foreign policy, Paul responded that our interventionist policies have actually been a contributing factor to the terrorism we've experienced. Rudy Giuliani countered out of turn about how absurd and offensive Paul's remark was. The audience applauded wildly as Giuliani called for Paul's retraction and apology. My heart sank as I waited for Paul to cower and waver on his statement.

But he didn't! Instead he further explained what he said without backing down. It was the proudest moment I've had as an American for a long time. Finally, someone standing up to the truth. In post debate interviews, Paul continued to stick to his convictions and in some cases, even commented that Giuliani should apologize to him.

But here's why I think this could be a turning point: there's a lot of positive chatter on the Internet about Ron Paul, especially since the debate. I think the Internet may finally be ubiquitous enough to serve as a tool to unite voters who would have previously been squelched by the media and major parties. The press is much more influenced by the Internet than previously and all the interest around Paul will most likely spill over into major media. There is already plenty of evidence of that; it's just a question of whether it will have staying power.

Admittedly, Paul has a slim chance of actually becoming the Republican nominee, but if he can remain a force through the entire election cycle, it will be a huge breath of fresh air and could have major implications in determining the policies for the next decade. And we will have learned that there is still some hope for truth and common sense.

3 comments:

Anonymous

Very true, although i don't agree with you on him not having a chance at the nomination. I believe strongly that his fan fare on the internet will create a strong grassroots movement, and by passion and word of mouth people will learn of this great message of liberty and smaller government. I believe that America is ready for this change and has expressed this since generation-x and beyond. And now those old kids (myself included) have had enough and can finally vote on principles and not on the lesser of 2 idiots.

Anonymous

There has been a fair bit of talk about how somewhere around 10-15% of the voters are libertarian-ish in their thinking.

I would think that voting bloc has not been too happy with the Republican Party for the past decade at least.

No chance in my mind that Paul will win. There are just too many "let's bomb them all and let God sort them out" Republicans out there.

But, Ron Paul's candidacy might help identify and give a voice to that anguished limited government segment of the population.

MB

Anonymous

I discovered Ron Paul's writings back in Oct./Nov. of 2006.

I've heard his message in the debates but I already believed in his message prior to his announced run for President.

I've struggled somewhat trying to understand what was so special about him until I finally realized it isn't about him personally, it is the message he brings with him as a calling card. That message is liberty and freedom. Ron Paul has stated many times how powerful this message is and I really believe in the message he brings to the table.

I also think the "sleeping giant" in America is beginning to awaken to the sounds of the liberty message. I won't be the least bit surprised if he DOES get the nomination. Ron Paul really doesn't belong in any political party if you ask me because his message applies to all in the interest of our country, not a political party.